Thursday, December 21, 2006

WP's Internet Tootjes (Christmas Goodie Bag)

My brain is rather scattered this Christmas, so here are a few miscellaneous links I've enjoyed, plus one unsavoury box of CrackerJack:

So you consider yourself a rock critic in the tradition of the great Lester Bangs? Well, bollocks to you, chump, 'cos you ain't. Here's why.

Aren't you glad you're not J.K. Rowling? This summer our family listened to the first two Harry Potter books in their entirety while we were on the road. I thought they were both terrifically entertaining, and that Rowling was a novelist of uncommon care and discipline. She knows exactly where she's going with this story, a refreshing anathema in this day of "I sit back and let the characters write the novel." So back off, King and Irving: let the lady get some sleep!

Cracker Jack Alert: The Lord appears before Frank Schaeffer, and says, "Ya ****ing ****!! Ya just don't ****ing git it, do ya? **** ****ing ****, but you are one sorry sack of ****!! Drop and gimme 20 before I **** your **** with a ****er and ... (etc., ad nauseum)." Need to recover from that last link? Try this.

Allow me to extend to my friends and family in Alberta the most welcome Christmas present I could possibly offer -- an admission: I'm actually enjoying Stephen Harper as PM. I'm not at all sure I could say the same if he were to ever gain a majority, but as minority leader he's quite refreshing. Quick political analysis: if Michael Ignatieff had won the Liberal leadership, it would have been irrefutable proof that God is on the side of Harper's Tories. "Merry Christmas, Stephen! Here's your majority!! Ho, ho, ho!!!" The way things are, at least I can say my gimpy "What do I believe in?" faith is still standing.

And finally, courtesy of Jim's meme, here's my desk:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Off-topic, but not really ...

I received your book in the mail this morning. What an excellent holiday gift for me :)

Whisky Prajer said...

Way cool! And Merry Christmas, Ms. Searchie.

Anonymous said...

That's a cool desk shot.

So, where do you do work?

Whisky Prajer said...

That room is on the second floor of the house, Southeast corner. Lots of sunlight (when we have it - grrr).

dan said...

WP,
Are you left handed? Your desk looks backwards (and your mouse is left of the monitor). And somebody needs to get busy signing that box-o-books.

Joel Swagman said...

After years of being too cool to read Harry Potter, i got addicted last Fall. Now I can't wait for that 7th book.

Anonymous said...

For those of you who aren't in the loop of lesser nations, the Liberal Party of Canada recently chose Stephane Dion to be their new leader. WP I agree that Harper has been largely a pleasant experience and that Ignatieff would have been mince meat for him.

Dion is too similar to Harper, and for that matter Gilles Duceppe, for the tories to feel too comfortable. Which pleases me as a voter; I'm all for consumer choice. Out with the windbags who insult our intelligence with their expensively trained double speak: "You people are too stupid to deserve a cogent explanation. Listen to the tone of my voice, or failing that some patriotic sounding emotional tripe instead."

So when are the New Democratic Party going to ditch Layton with his Bush-like, truthy gut rhetoric and get on board with the new gen politico?

Whisky Prajer said...

tpr - re: the NDP becoming cogent and pertinent to today's political scene: they won't - ever. And frankly, I was quietly hoping Rae would be the next Liberal leader, since that would all but put a bullet to the head of that ailing party.

dan h - I'm right-handed, actually. But I can switch-hit when it comes to a mouse, or data entry.

DarkoV said...

WP,
I'm stunned. I expected to see nar y a clean spot of desk surface, the doorway clogged with tomes piled precariously high, and !!! magazines in magazine holders??!!! Please tell me Joe, it ain't so!

Have to admit, though, Hamlet next to Ubuntu Linux is hard to beat.

Whisky Prajer said...

dv - you wouldn't know it to see it, but I actually share the desk with my wife. So *some* measure of neatness has to be instituted.