Friday, December 24, 2010

WP's Magical Mystery Tour

When I was an adolescent with thirsty ears, it seemed to me that all the cool concerts were happening in Toronto. I occasionally caught wind of a car riding down to Minneapolis to see someone big, but the expense entailed was prohibitive. Worse, these people slept in the car -- usually while driving back home. The people who returned from these ventures were usually so zonked, they couldn't remember who they'd seen.

These days Toronto's concerts are accessible to me. But it looks to me like all the really fun concerts happen south of the 49. So I've put together a fantasy tour, which would look something like this. I'd get in the old Toyota, with a few dozen of my favorite CDs, drive down to Cincinnati to catch Over The Rhine and Joe Henry at the Taft. I'd scoot to Oklahoma City for The Flaming Lips' New Years Eve bash. At the end of that I'd quickly beetle over to Chicago to catch The Drive-By Truckers, on New Years Day.

When that was over, I'd wind down by taking an architectural tour through the ruins of Detroit, and cap that off with a Red Wings game. Man, as much as I begrudge them their wins, I do love to watch that team play.

Then I'd return home to shower, shave and sleep.

3 comments:

Cowtown Pattie said...

Cool, dude.

Kman has a different S in that series other than "sleep"..ahem.

I guess I am showing my age because my concert wish list would be musicians who are rather long in the tooth nowadays...

I did get to see a ton of folks this year at the AARP convention in Orlando:

Judy Collins, BB King, Richie Havens, Gloria Gaynor, Los Lobos, & Crosby-Stills-Nash.

CSN was the best...I didn't care who I made cringe, you just gotta sing with Teach Your Children....

Whisky Prajer said...

That S is on my list, too -- not that I needed reminding.

DarkoV said...

WP,
great tour...although it's a good thing you're not taking it as you'd be quite disappointed on New Year's Day in Chicago....
....Drive By Truckers will be playing selections form their soon-to-be released album that night....in Philadelphia...which I'm trying to figure out how to get to without offending friends we are visiting that day..
We shall see.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!