In hindsight, "Peak Blogging" probably happened the year before. Someone, I can't recall whom, observed that early adopters of internet platforms are a restlessly nomadic sort. Settlers in GeoCities moved on to Blogspot, to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, what have you. I wasn't on Facebook yet, and if you check the comments following some of these posts you'll encounter quite an array of characters -- some of whom have become very dear friends. Pen pals, only better -- because the exchange of reactions is so much more immediate. Anyway, swapping links and recommendations and introductions from blog to blog -- it was all very heady and stimulating.
And golly, but we loved our lists!
- I'm listing! Fifteen Film Faves -- and they all still apply.
- Come Back, Toby Tyler -- possibly the most influential film of my Mennonite childhood.
|"Lions! Tigers! Bears! I gotta blog about this!"|
- Whoppers vs. Fiction -- part 1.
- Whoppers vs. Fiction -- part 2. A follow-up to the first seemed in order: it was the year of James Frey -- as well as Michael Chabon, who somehow stayed in everyone's good graces.
- Tracking Identity & The Jewish Diaspora -- Philip Roth and Norman Lebrecht, contrasted.
- Taking "Buk" With A Pinch Of Salt -- I'm as fond of literary "bad boys" as the next reader. But you've got to moderate -- right?
- Centrefolds & Life -- assessing the gap.
- Kensington Market -- easy on the pop, kids.
- Personal Apocalypse -- they seem to happen with some regularity after a while.
- Addressing the Black Puppies -- I got a little moody after a visit to Manitoba, my first in several years.
- The Duties of Fall -- included the killing of hamsters that year.
- Vocation -- "So what do you do, exactly?"
- "A Long Line of Nüscht" -- more thoughts on vocation, identity, heredity. Possibly the posting closest to my own heart.
- The School Portrait -- I don't think either daughter is aware this picture is still up.
- Scary Monsters -- or this one.
- A Child's Christmas In Eaton's -- nothing but a memory.