Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Your iPod: The New "Magic 8 Ball"

Cadged this idea from Scott, using my computer's file player (Amarok, set on "random") for the "answers". Doesn't say much for my future, but it gives a person a slim picture of what's tucked away on my hard-drive. For your amusement, then:

1. How am I feeling today? (like a) Fool In The Rain - Led Zeppelin

2. Will I get far in life? Mirror In The Bathroom - English Beat

3. How do my friends see me? Shut It Tight - T Bone Burnett
"I don't care what you think
And I hope that you approve
I am just an ordinary man"

4. When will I get married? Foxglove - Steve Bell (originally by BC)

5. What is my best friend's theme song? The Boston Rag - Steely Dan (I have my doubts)

6. What is the story of my life? Psalm 63 - John Michael Talbot

7. What was high school like? Absolutely Sweet Marie - Jason & The Scorchers ("To live outside the law you must be honest, darlin'.")

8. How am I going to get ahead in life? Shower The People - James Taylor (I don't know what's creepier: the "answer", or the inexplicable presence of a James Taylor song)

9. What is the best song about me? Building A Mystery - Sarah McLachlan (Alright: "inexplicable" is wrong - these are both from my wife's side of the hard-drive)

10. How is today going to be? The Shape of Air - DA

11. What is in store for the weekend?
St Mary of the Woods - James McMurtry & The Heartless Bastards ("Where ya going with yer head hung down?")

12. What song describes my parents?
Southland of the Heart - Bruce Cockburn (I'd go with my friend's choice: Sunday Clothes by Charlie Sexton & James McMurtry)

13. How is my life going? Widows of the Revolution - Joe Henry ("We'll tell this story later on / And tell of how it made us strong")

14. What song will be played at my funeral? It Doesn't Have To Be - Erasure (I hope not!)

15. How does the world see me? Friends Again - Del Fuegos

16. Will I have a happy life? Hey Nineteen - Steely Dan ("It's hard times befallen the sole survivors")

17. What do my friends think of me? The Lone Ranger - TV Toons (The silver bullets are nice, but where are Tonto and Trigger?)

18. How can I make myself happy? Image - T Bone Burnett
i had this image of you
and you had this image of me
and your image would talk to my image
and my image would talk to your image
and somewhere along the way
our images sort of let each other down (that's it, the whole song)

19. What should I do with my life? Wondering Where The Lions Are - Bruce Cockburn

20. Will I have children?
Detroit City - Alice Cooper (ask a silly question...)

21. Got any good advice for me? (I'm Too) Busy Being Blue - k.d. lang

22. What is my signature song? Keep Your Lamp Trimmed & Burnin' - Blind Willie Johnson

23. What do I think my current theme song is?
So Far So Good - Daniel Amos

24. What does everyone else think my themesong is?
The Christmas Song - Vince Guaraldi Trio

25. What's my style? Song For A Small Circle of Friends - Larry Norman

26. What kind of lover am I? Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads (ha!)

27. Where do I see myself in 10 years? Art Carney's Dream - The Swirling Eddies

Conclusions: you'd think Bruce Cockburn was wallowing in disc-drive memory, but in fact he accounts for three albums, right on par with Jane's Addiction who don't show up at all; Steely Dan receive representative treatment, but Jason & The Scorchers do not; the randomizer seems particularly drawn to the religious material; and how'd it manage to completely skirt the metal?

2 comments:

Scott said...

I don't know what I'm more tickled by -- the presence of Erasure on your music list or the amusingly-horrid notion of having them played at your funeral!

Don't fret, my friend -- should it come to that, I'll do everything in my power to prevent that from happening!

Whisky Prajer said...

Have I got Erasure? Oh, yes. Not just "Pop", but "Abba-esque", too!