Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Graphite vs. Wood

Ringette season has returned. It's a popular sport around here, but not nearly so popular as hockey, so I had to do some driving to get my daughter a new stick. The gent who sold it to me tried to persuade me of the virtues of graphite, but all I could see was the $75 price tag. I said, "When my daughter can play a $75 game, I'll buy her the $75 stick."

I relayed this exchange to the local sporting goods guy. He shook his head. "I can't get over the kids who say they won't play hockey with anything less than graphite. So far all the hockey records were established by guys who used wood. What's graphite got that's going to beat wood?"

He was just warming up. "And golf clubs! You can pay $1000 for a driver that hits the ball farther, straighter, higher. But if all this research and technology and money has gone into the science of the club, why are the pars still the same? The course just up the road here has been a par 3 course for the last 50 years. The clubs some guys use, you could buy a car with that money. But they still play a par 3 game.

"Of course," he added, "if you want to spend the money, I'm not going to stop you." And he was talking to a guy who clearly was not going to spend the money.

No comments: