Monday, October 13, 2008

Re: Learning Guitar

Twenty years ago I figured out how to strum the guitar. I was also introduced to travis picking, along with a smattering of classical finger-picking. It was all strictly campfire technique, but since I had no shortage of campfires to attend I had a lot of fun with it.

My daughters are of the age where they are learning the usual gamut of instrument play. Listening to their tentative steps into a larger technique, I was finally inspired to pick up my old "How To" books and teach myself some much-needed basics, including reading music. I'm finally of the age where I don't bristle at plinking out "Hot Cross Buns" on a single string!

This does not pass as music to my daughters' ears. Said my younger to my wife: "You'd think he'd know how to play that thing by now."

Tangential self-promotion: this Thanksgiving has been a huge improvement on last year.

No comments: